Monday, February 16, 2009

PortableApps.com

USB/Flash memory drives are very useful for storing information. But did you know you can expand the use of a USB drives by adding programs.

Portable programs are designed with one thing in mind, the ability to run from portable devices like USB drives or flash memory without installing itself on the computer it is connected to.

PortableApps.com is one of my favorites tools to have on a flash drive. As described on there site: a portable app is a computer program that you can carry around with you on a portable device and use on any Windows computer. When your USB flash drive, portable hard drive, iPod or other portable device is plugged in, you have access to your software and personal data just as you would on your own PC. And when you unplug the device, none of your personal data is left behind.



Once I installed the ProtableApp menu here are some useful things to have on your USB flash drive:

  • Web Browser and Email: Mozilla Firefox Portable is currently my favorite web browser. Having a portable version with me allows me to have all my bookmarks and Firefox settings with me everywhere I go. Any extension and add ons installed will also be available on any computer the USB drive plugged into. Mozilla Thunderbird Portable is my first choice for email program. It functions like outlook but has the added support of add ons and extensions, allowing you to customize it.
  • Scheduling/Calendar: Mozilla Sunbird Portable is a great calendar and scheduling program and you can even get an add on that displays Sunbird information in Mozilla Thunderbird.
  • Office Suite: Open Office is a complete Office Suite offered for free from OpenOffice.org but available on PortableApps you can get a portable version to carry with you on your USB drive.

I will be highlighting these tools in more detail in the future as well as other portable applications available on the site PortableApps.com

No comments: